Catherine Hill Bay was first purchased and settled in, in 1865. The town was named Cowper and was to become a coal mining base by the New Wallsend Company in 1873. The first shipment was on the 17th of December that same year. The disused railway lines originally carried the coal to the wharf at Catherine Hill Bay, named after a ship that run aground there in 1867. The town is a historic site with local residents rejecting plans for upmarket housing, preferring to remain in their older style miner cottages. Limited edition of 200.